Horizon has successfully completed several complex, controversial, multi-objective, multi-stakeholder projects and programs involving the development and adoption of regulations, ranging from suction dredge regulations for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and State Water Resources Control Board, to cannabis regulations for the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
Our regulation and policy development services include:
- Developing regulations, ordinances, and other guidance.
- Conducting resource studies and impact assessments of regulations, including greenhouse gas emissions, water use, biological resources, and the full range of environmental topics.
- Completing all aspects of CEQA documentation for adoption of regulations and ordinances, including IS/MNDs, EIRs, public notices, and decision documents.
- Leading public and stakeholder outreach programs using multiple communication modes.
- Leading workshops and meetings, including agency decision hearings.
- Developing GIS tools to support local regulatory programs.
We consider the range of other existing regulatory requirements—and agencies with jurisdiction over an activity— that may affect a program in order to minimize duplication and ensure close coordination between the agencies. The end result is a set of practical, real-world solutions for licensing and permitting programs which accomplish regulatory goals and address environmental concerns, while at the same time minimizing administrative burdens on agencies and applicants.